| Enterprise Fixed Wireless Access
The Enterprise Fixed Wireless Access application arises from the following scenarios:
- Leased-lines in urban areas are bandwidth limited and expensive.
- Fiber connectivity increasing but still relatively expensive to connect users / buildings to fiber Points-of-presence (POPs) with fiber tails in developing economies. Wireless last-mile connections more cost-effective.
- Business enterprises require greater bandwidth Internet Protocol (IP) connectivity between buildings, branches and suburbs.
- Video over IP requirements between buildings / branches.
- Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) need to offload high bandwidth fixed users from the network to improve user ARPU of mobile Smartphone customers.
The solution for Enterprise Fixed Wireless Access needs to address a number of important factors:
- Frequency Spectrum flexibility – There is a trade-off between Cost / Benefit of Licensed spectrum versus Unlicensed spectrum with its inherent potential interference characteristics in urban areas.
- Power requirements – solutions requiring lower energy consumption are preferred as this reduces costs of supply, backup and solar implementation.
- Infrastructure requirements (Base Station) – engineering requirements for outdoor equipment, poles, masts and shelters is greatly simplified if the products are small, light and have low wind loading.
- Infrastructure requirements (Customer Premises) – A small aperture, cost-effective device is required.
- Cost of ownership – when one considers the cost of equipment, infrastructure, implementation, power backup and ongoing maintenance, the lower the overall costs of each element, the greater the value to the end user.
- Data throughput and latency – almost any problem can be solved through technology but it is the most appropriate technology with a balance of data throughput and latency at the lowest price that is going to be the winner in the long run.
- Fixed Wireless Access – In this application, the enterprise (and high-end residential) clients require location-based or fixed Internet / data connectivity.
- Enterprise Clients
- ISPs (Internet Service Providers) and WISPs (Wireless ISPs)
- Telco Operators
- Mobile Network Operators
- Cape Peninsula Fixed Wireless Network – Morten and Partners
- Disaster management network with Satellite Redundancy
- VoIP Communication Interconnect
- Weighbridge Data & Video Streaming
- Security Cameras (optional)
Typical Network Layout
BST supplied and implemented the StarGate and StarLink products for the application.
Typical Site Pics showing Equipment, Cameras and Antenna
Measurements of Success
This application has been used as a model by the same for networks in other parts of South Africa. It has shown that the StarGate and StarLink product family are very well suited for the transport of IP Multimedia traffic including Data, Video and Voice traffic.